Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What We Wish For Everyone As A Regular Morning

We recently received this letter from a supporter of Skin We're In who felt very strongly about the last post we added to our blog. We hope that you all know that the "Typical Morning" that was described is not one we believe is okay in any way, but we've all been there.

Our supporter shared with us what she feels each morning and hopes that everyone can feel in some way as well.

And we whole-heartedly agree.

Her alarm clock went off that day as it did every morning, to the sound of the Top 20 hits of the day played by a local radio station.
She moved slowly as her body began to wake up; as she stretched she smiled thinking of her friends all singing this song together a few days before. She turned her T.V. on to a music video, the kind of music video in which half naked girls shook their "junk" around to catch some rappers attention.
She watched the women, half amused half in awe of the women. Perfect bodies. Perfect faces. Perfect hair. Perfect. Although she may not fit the dancers’ mold, she knew she could shake what HER mamma gave her just as well as the rest of them.
She got up to brush her teeth before she showered just as she did everyday, went to the bathroom and undressed, taking a quick glance toward the mirror to see the body that was the perfect body, for her.
In the shower she looked down at her body. Although nothing was flat or seemed perfectly smooth the way the video girls' bodies, she loved all the curves she had. She knew that one day her mother would be right (GASP) and the hips that came about at what seemed like an earlier age than most would someday be the perfect hips for “baby carrying.” And although she did have some junk, she just wouldn’t be the same person without that booty! She thought about her friend who gives the best hugs, and knew she wouldn't be in danger of breaking in half when she was hugged that hard. And although she hadn’t found her Prince Charming just quite yet, he would find every curve of her body beautiful and perfect.
She walked back into her bedroom. She turned the T.V. back on so that she could listen to the music in the background, and maybe even sing along (she didn’t even care if someone noticed she was a little off key). The girl picked out an outfit that complimented her body type. She pulled on her favorite pair of jeans (which unlike the girls in the video, were not a size 0). After putting them on she stood back to look in the mirror, even turning around to see how good her butt looked in them! She grinned with satisfaction and found a cute top to match. The girl continued her morning routine as she put mascara on – her favorite make-up item, because it made her beautiful eyes stand out much more. A little lip gloss and she was ready to go.
She felt good for about the way she looked and had a confident air about her. She knew she was beautiful both inside and out. Intelligent. Beautiful. Confident. Unique. Strong. She had nothing left to do but go forth and conquer the day; she knew she was destined for big things.
Just a typical morning.



It really upsets me that anyone would wake up having a "typical" morning as you described in the blog. Every person needs to embrace who they are, perfect or not, size 0 or not, because without the confidence it's hard to put on the front that you think you're even any where near perfect or beautiful. And even if somehow that girl was able to put on a front that she "thought" she was beautiful, soon enough it will just become an act that everyone will see through.

I'm not, by any means, a size 0. But my typical morning is much more like the strong, confident girl than the girl who wakes up every morning thinking she is lame and ugly. Sure, there are things about my body that I don't necessarily like, but the wonderful thing is, no one else in the world has MY body. And I won't lie, there isn't a morning I don't get undressed and take a glance in the mirror - my body is my own, it's unique, and I love all the curves I have (and I too hope to find someone someday that loves all them just as much, BUT I do not need someone to validate that MY curves are beautiful).

I have been (awkwardly) told by a coworker out at the bar one night that I have junk in my trunk, and yeah...I do. But ya know what? I also think I have a great butt...and wouldn't trade it for anything! And my mom has probably told me since I was 10 that I can't wear white pants because I'll look like a movie screen and that I have big hips - but I own white pants and I wear them with confidence. And someday, I know I'll give a baby a nice place to stay for 9 months with my baby carrying hips! Aside from physical appearance, I know I have the intelligence to go far, and I know so many other people of all shapes, sizes, skin colors, and genders that will do the same...who wants a world full of all the same people? It just wouldn't work.

I take a class at the gym called Zumba. The first time I went I thought I was being punked. I'm sure I look like an idiot shimmying and shaking my hips all around, but the class has helped me with more than just getting into better shape. One of the greatest parts about the class is that just about everyone can do it, and everyone looks different doing it, but that's not a bad thing. I think your group embraces that. It takes a LOT of people to make the world go 'round, we all can't be clones, life would be so boring.



Thank you to the author of this letter. Your words were very much appreciated. Keep your strength alive and continue to share your beauty with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment